making a joke and waiting for a response like
Well, you don’t have to like Regina if you don’t want to, you know— character appreciation and shipping is love, and it’s difficult to logic yourself into or out of love.
But Regina has some aspects that appeal to me, such as:
- Flawless fashion sense— Want an outfit that says ‘I may be dressed like an anthropomorphized, angry Christmas tree but I can still melt your face and steal your man’? Regina’s got one!
- Sass— Her one-liners are great, as are her wordless, long-suffering side-eyes to Rumple. Say what you will about Regina, but at least she’s got a sense of humor.
- A big (dark) heart— Regina loves deeply, and you can see this with Daniel, her dad, her no-good mom, Henry, Robin, and Snow.
- Tries to be better— Regina often comes off as a spoiled brat, but she’s been having increasing flashes of self-awareness recently, from telling Henry she doesn’t know how to love properly, to telling Tinkerbell vengeance won’t bring happiness, to telling Robin she often takes things for granted, to making peace with Snow whacking Cora, to telling Zelena what a gift it is to be given a second chance, and genuinely apologizing to Belle. Progress!
- Burying the hatchet (but not in anyone’s head)— I know giving Regina credit for NOT killing people is kind of damning with faint praise, but given her vindictive and impulsive streaks this is kind of a big deal. Now Regina is genuine friends with Rumple (who tried to suck her soul out a while back), Tinkerbell (who wanted to kill her), Snow (who inadvertently caused the death of Regina’s True Love), and Emma (who broke the curse and also Regina tried to kill her a couple of times). Plus, Regina tried to make friends with Zelena (who wiped Regina’s memory and tried to turn back time to make Regina miserable). Regina is now part of the Charming family and is co-parenting Henry with Emma (“our son”). Yay!
- Protective streak— Historically what Regina’s been protecting is herself and her curse, but lately she’s been protective not only of Henry (from Pan), but young Roland (from the flying monkeys), Snow (from Ghost!Cora), and Emma (cursing her to have GOOD memories in the missing year). Also, she DID save the town from the Diamond of Doom in S2 when she saw the error of her ways.
- Fabulous acting— Love her or hate her, it’s hard not to watch her. Regina’s got PRESENCE.
I’m working with the good guys?
Regina in S1 and parts of S2 was a REALLY, REALLY dark character, and I appreciate that she’s gone from trying to rip everyone from their happiness to trying to protect her new family. We’ll see if she backslides a bit in S4!
I know some talented people have made a bunch of gifsets showing how far Regina’s come in her three seasons. Can people please reply with links to the ‘Regina changing over time’ gifsets? Many thanks!